Saturday, December 3, 2011

Daily Oak: November report


Number of days missed: 10
Number of days with more than one visit: 2
Number of visits with more than the two standard perspectives taken: 7
guest trees: 7, plus one picture of neighboring tree from across the street
Total number of pictures taken: 61

In my memory this was a very gray month, during which it didn’t really matter at which time of day you went to the tree, because it looked the same all the time anyway. Looking at the pictures, it turns out, of course, that this is not entirely true. In any case, the days are so short now that there were very temptations to go visit the tree twice...
I was away during the first week and can’t really say anything about that time, and during the second week I picked the sunniest spots of the day, and there were some.

Perspective a, November 8, 2011, 2:13 p.m.
The second half of the month was indeed rather gray, though, but I can’t really tell whether the tree looked different at various time of the day because I ended up going there at almost the same time during those gray days, combining my trip to the tree with my trip to pick up my son from school.

Perspective a, November 24, 2011, 2:35 p.m.
 What surprised me was the way the tree shed its leaves. I had mentioned last month that nothing spectacular had happened in terms of changing of color of the leaves. When I returned after my week of absence, all the leaves were gone, whereas its neighbor, about 50 m away on the other side of the street, which had displayed such a more interesting color development, still had many of its leaves up.

Perspective b, November 7, 2011, 11:35 a.m.

Neighbour to Daily Oak (which is in
my back right now) on November 7, 2011,
with still many more leaves
Very much noticeable, of course, is the lower elevation of the sun in the sky. Whereas in June the sun would not even appear in the picture around 2 p.m., I would now have to shift position so that it would bed covered by a branch in order not to spoil the picture, as you can see in the first picture at the beginning of this post.

Perspective a, June 22, 2:37 p.m.
 Or, close to sunset – which happens more than four hours earlier now than in June: the sun now sets to the left of the tree when looking from perspective b, whereas it was far to the right of the tree in June.


Perspective b, June 19, 2011, 8:49 p.m.

Perspective b, November 22, 2011, 4:44 p.m.

During my second absence in the middle of the month, I encountered a very interesting tree during my morning runs, which I chose as guest tree for one day. This tree has a threefold appearance. It looks like a single stem when approaching it from the north.


Then it seems to be two stems when you are nearing the eastern side of the tree.


And then it turns out to be three stems in total, looking from the South-East of the tree.


Too bad I don't live there, this would be a perfect object for another daily tree project next year. But I'll probably do something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment