Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Text messages

On Saturday I received the good news that my entry to SAQA's juried exhibition "text messages" was accepted.

For this piece, I interpreted my second favorite poem by one of my favorite American poets, E. E. Cummings, and part of the first line of the poem is also the quilt's title: o(rounD)moon,   . (The comma is part of the title.)
I had to get Cummings' complete poetry on interlibrary loan because the poem I was originally thinking about is not included in the selection of his poems that I have. And in fact, the opening line I was contemplating for interpretation turned out to be different than I remembered, and the poem wasn't suitable for adaptation to the format required. So I changed my mind and took another poem. (The one I rejected was not my favorite poem by cummings, by the way. That one is still waiting for its time to be interpreted.)
I had a lot of fun making this quilt. And I learned a lot about my machine while making it...

We are not allowed to post a full photograph before the first hanging of the show. But a small detail shot is in order:


And this is the poem in full length:

!

o(rounD)moon,how
do
you(rouNd
er
than roUnd)float;
who
lly&(rOunder than)
go
:ldenly(Round
est)

?

e.e.cummings

No comments:

Post a Comment