Sunday, April 7, 2013

Limited edition


On Good Friday I realized that I had come back from my exhibition in Ste. Marie-aux-Mines (half a year ago...) with only very few business cards left. Bad timing – everything is closed on Good Friday, which comes before a weekend, when the printer will not be open, and on Easter Monday again everything is closed. I am leaving for England on Thursday morning. No way I am going to get cards in two days, I don’t have a colour printer. I still have plenty of postcards advertising for my fabric club. But they are all with German text.


What do you do in a situation like that? Add the fact that I have absolutely no clue as to how many business cards with English text I might need when visiting the AGM. And how many more cards will I actually need with this particular address on them?
I simply decided I was going to make my own, despite the fact that I don’t have a colour printer.
I printed cards on my computer in black and white and cut them apart.


Then I cut up a few small strips of my snow-dyed fabric, which I wanted to sew onto the back of the cards.


First thoughts went into the direction “plenty of stitches, a bit of free-motion”, but the prototype was not exactly convincing.


So I switched back to plain old zig-zag stitch, the widest I can make it on the machine.


And here they are – they come in three or four different colours. A very limited edition indeed!
The kind of cards you can get on Easter Sunday. Saves money. But doesn’t exactly save time... But they were fun to make and added to my excitement about leaving for my ten days in England

No comments:

Post a Comment